Replanting and Care Instructions for Moth Orchids
With thanks to Ross Bond
- Lightly moisten the potting medium. Prune off flower stem.
- Carefully remove the orchid from the pot.
- Tease the medium (usually sphagnum moss) from the roots using a thin pointed stick.
- Trim off any dead roots using a sterile trimmer. Place orchid in the same size or larger clean pot.
- Re-pot with Debco small size Orchid Compost with a small addition of Horticultural Charcoal and crushed styrofoam.
- Place on a sauce filled with wet gravel.
- Position in a high-light room indoors with no direct sun.
- Fertilize every two week with half strength Peters Orchid Food.
- Water when almost dry (usually every 1-2 weeks depending on position).
- Watch out for Scale, Mealy Bud and Mites.
- Stake new flower stems with thin canes.
- Expect up to 10 weeks or more of flowers.
- Look out for bright blue Moth Orchids and jet black Cymbidiums in the future!!